Lizard and Lunk

The continuing GURPS adventures of eight men who really should find better uses for their time.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Origins, Day 0: Wednesday

Welcome to Origins 2011!

Origins officially starts on a Wednesday, but the legendary trade room at Origins does not open until Thursday. So in the past few years when I have taken days off from work to attend during the week, I have let non-trade-room Wednesday take care of itself without me. This year, since I'm lucky enough to have the vacation days for it, I decided to go on Wednesday as well, trusting that the selection of games in the Board Room would be enough to keep me busy in the morning, and signing up for a GURPS event in the afternoon.

The morning plan probably would have worked better if I had checked to see where the Board Room is actually located this year. Instead, I went to the old place, saw no activity, and assumed that it wasn't running yet. So I consoled myself with just a game of Star Munchkin in the Steve Jackson section of the Open Gaming area. Note to self for next year: If I go on Wednesday again next year, I will make sure I know where I'm going and what I'm doing.

The GURPS event was enjoyable, but a bit unsettling. The story featured almost-normal (and in some cases entirely normal) humans working in a funeral home on Halloween Night, fending off a zombie attack. We played the game on a blueprint of the funeral home:

 


There are blueprints of the funeral home because it is an actual, real-world funeral home. And the PCs were based on people who actually work there, photo portraits and all. And the woman who ran the game also works at the funeral home as her real-life day job. Seriously, if you work around dead people all the time, and you pour this much work and imagination into pretending that they stand up and attack you, couldn't that start to seriously mess with your head?

Games played: Star Munchkin, GURPS
Games won: None, unless you count having your character barely survive the end of the adventure as "winning."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home